The men and women of the Greeley Police Department congratulate you on your interest in becoming a member of our team! The Greeley Police Department was founded in 1869, and it is one of the 10 largest police departments in the State of Colorado. We are comprised of over 157 sworn members and 56 non-sworn members who provide police services to over 106,000 citizens residing in a city occupying 50 square miles.
The Greeley Police Department is dedicated to recruiting, hiring, and training the most qualified applicants. We offer a wide range of assignments and more opportunities for advancement and professional development than other departments.
This is the first step in a rewarding career with a progressive and diverse police department.
During active recruitment cycles, go to the Job Opportunities page to view the full posting and submit an online application. If there is not an active recruitment cycle, you can submit a job notification request from the menu option to receive email updates about active cycles.
- Submit online application
- Written Test consisting of video, writing, and reading comprehension (pass/fail)
- Essential Functions Test (administered in Greeley, pass/fail)
- The EFT is a series of obstacles and physical maneuvers that represent the essential physical functions potentially required of police officers
- Notarized Personal History Statement due at this time
- Oral Board Interviews
- Background Investigation
- Command Staff Interviews
- Conditional Job Offers Extended
- Drug Test
- Medical Evaluation
- Psychological Evaluation
Applicants are required to complete the following:
- Written Test consisting of video, writing, and reading comprehension (Pass/Fail)
- Essential Functions Test (administered only in Greeley, Pass/Fail).
- Spanish bilingual testing (by applicant request)
Officer: (POST Certified) $64,346.00/yr
Cadets are eligible for promotion to Officer after completing 4 month academy and passing POST test.
Full 2020 Police Officer Pay Plan
Lateral entry up to $67,241.00 – $78,874 annually is available for POST certified officers dependent upon years of experience and department size.
Pay Sale for Greeley Police Officers
Effective January 9, 2020 (4.5 % increase)
- Step A: Annual Income $67,241.00
- Step B: Annual Income $69,568.00
- Step C: Annual Income $74,060.00
- Step D: Annual Income $78,874.00
- Step E: Annual Income $83,965.00
- Step F: Annual Income $92,811.00
Effective January 7, 2021 (2% increase)
- Step A: Annual Income $68,586.00
- Step B: Annual Income $70,959.00
- Step C: Annual Income $75,541.00
- Step D: Annual Income $80,452.00
- Step E: Annual Income $85,645.00
- Step F: Annual Income $94,667.00
Perform individually and as member of a team and participate in the following activities: enforce local, state and federal ordinances, regulations and laws; apprehend suspects; respond to and investigate disturbances and accident calls; patrol and conduct surveillance; receive training and maintain skills proficiency; operate a vehicle during routine and emergency situations; communicate with the public in normal and adverse situations; complete verbal and written reports and documentation; work independently following written and verbal instructions that are general in nature. Must be able to work shifts, weekends and holidays.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record
- Be in good physical condition (must pass an Essentials Functions Test)
- Have vision of or correctable to 20/20
- No felony convictions or conviction involving moral turpitude
- No illegal drug usage or related activities within the previous 5 years
- No use of marijuana within the last 2 years
- No arrest for DUI, DWAI, or DUID within the last 5 years
- Spanish/English bilingual skills desired
- AA degree or 60 semester credit hours at the time of application or Honorable Military Discharge
- Cadet will transition to Police Officer trainee position upon graduation from law enforcement academy
- Note: Preference points added to testing scores for BA/BS or higher, military service and/or Spanish fluency
- POST Certified in Colorado; OR
- Certified officer in another state and eligible for Colorado POST certification; OR
- Currently attending Colorado Certified Police Academy with graduation date
- Note: Preference points added to testing scores for AA/BA/BS or higher, military service and/or Spanish fluency
Personal Appearance Policy
Employees must comply with the Personal Appearance Policy including restrictions on tattoos and body piercings. Please read the policy prior to submitting an application.
POST Certification Requirements
The definition of POST certified is:
- Currently POST certified through the State of Colorado, or
- Actively attending a POST academy, or
- Currently a certified officer in another state and eligible for POST certification in Colorado.
For additional information on POST certification see the State of Colorado’s website for Police Officer Standards and Training https://coloradopost.gov
Pay up to $78,874 annually is available for experienced officers dependent upon years of experience and department size. Read the Lateral Entry Pay policy and submit an application for Lateral Entry prior to a conditional job offer as applications for Lateral Entry will not be considered after the conditional job offer has been extended.
Serious applicants are encouraged to schedule a ride along with a Greeley police officer. The application for a ride along is available at the front desk of the police department or by downloading and submitting the ride-along application found here. Please allow 3-5 days to process your ride along application and to schedule your ride along.
GPD Lip Sync Challenge
We have been asked numerous times….. Now we present the #lipsyncchallenge from everyone at the Greeley Police Department. Special thanks to the Mayor, John Gates for making a special appearance in our video. You may also spot the city manager ,Roy Otto “Shaking it off” in our video. This video was made by the talented Bryan Bean with the City of Greeley, CEO OfficePosted by Greeley Police Department on Friday, July 20, 2018
For questions related to recruitment, contact us at HR@Greeleygov.com or 970-350-9710.
In accordance with the local, state, and federal law, the City recruits, hires, places, promotes and transfers all job applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital status, genetic information or any other protected characteristic established by law. View the City’s EEOP Utilization Report for additional information.