Victim Rights and Assistance

The Greeley Police Department, in cooperation with the departments of Ault, Eaton, Evans, Garden City, Johnstown, Kersey, LaSalle, Milliken, Nunn, Severance, Platteville, and Windsor provides aid to innocent persons who suffer physical, emotional or financial loss as a result of a crime or non-criminal stark misfortune. The unit is staffed by full-time, part-time, and highly trained volunteer advocates. Advocates serve these communities by providing a comprehensive victim-centered approach through on-scene crisis response and follow-up services.

If this is an emergency, please call 911.

Victim’s Rights Act

Victims of the crimes specified within the Victim’s Rights Act C.R.S.24-4.1-301 have the right to:

  • Be treated with dignity, fairness, and respect
  • Be informed about what steps can be taken if he or she is subjected to intimidation or harassment
  • Information on all charges filed
  • Notification of any change in the status of the accused
  • Input into decisions regarding plea bargains, sentencing and parole hearings
  • Restitution or civil remedy
  • Release of property after the case is settled and it is no longer needed as evidence
  • Employer intercession
  • Notification of all case dispositions
  • Timely notification of all court dates
  • Instruction on community resources and other information that will assist recovery.

After conviction of a crime against a victim, and upon written request from the victim, your state or local correctional authorities will notify the victim of:

  • The institution where the person is incarcerated or otherwise being held
  • The projected release date of the person
  • Any release of the person, including furlough, work release, or community corrections in advance of release
  • Scheduled parole hearings for the person and any changes in hearing schedules
  • Any escape of the person from a correctional facility or program
  • Any release or discharge from confinement of the person and conditions of that release
  • The death of the person while in a correctional facility or program

In addition, upon request of the victim, correctional officials will keep confidential the victim’s or immediate family’s addresses, phone numbers, places of employment, or other personal information.

If all local efforts to obtain your rights have failed, you may request assistance from the Victim’s Compensation and Assistance Coordinating Committee. For additional information, call the Office for Victim’s Programs at the Division of Criminal Justice 303-239-4442 or 1-888-282-1080, toll free.

Victims Rights Pamphlet (English and Spanish)

Public records

Please visit our records request page for information on obtaining records.

Protection for crime victims

Temporary restraining orders may be obtained by contacting the Family Court Clerk’s Office located in the Centennial Center 915 10th St., 351-7300 x4320. Assistance may be requested by calling GPD Victim Assistance Phone Number 970-351-5345. A restraining order produced by a private attorney is always an additional option. Modification of Protective Orders are done only by contacting the courts at the above address.

The DA Victim/Witness office will assist with forwarding any specific requests related to your victimization to the D.A. for their consideration.

Intimidation, harassment, and stalking are crimes and should be reported to local police. If you are in danger at any time, call 911.

Crime Victim Compensation

If you or a member of your family has been injured as a result of a crime, you may be eligible for compensation for financial loss.

The Victim Compensation Board may award for:

  • Medical and Hospital expenses
  • Outpatient care
  • Counseling
  • Loss of medically necessary devices, such as eyeglasses or hearing aids
  • Burial expenses
  • Loss of earnings
  • Loss of support to dependents
  • Repair of residential doors, windows or other security devices.

To see if you qualify for Victim Compensation visit their website here CRIME VICTIM COMPENSATION

What Can I Expect

The initial shock following a crime, sudden death, or other trauma is a harsh and painful reality for everyone involved. As individuals we often react in many different ways when faced with crisis. Some common reactions may include:

  • Shock, disbelief, numbness
  • Anxiety, panicky feelings
  • Feeling “lost” or difficulty concentrating
  • Irritability, tearfulness, or anger
  • Blaming, self-doubt, guilt
  • Sleeping disturbances, loss of appetite
  • Flashbacks, unwanted memories
  • Depression or sadness
  • Withdrawal or isolation
  • Relationship problems
  • Unexplained physical pain

After some time has passed, it is possible to experience a full life after a crime or tragedy. As most people work through their feelings about the event, they begin to accept that they did the best they could under the circumstances, and have renewed energy to focus on their lives again.


The area code for these numbers- 970

Non-Emergent Dispatch 350-9600 #4
Greeley Police Department 350-9600
Greeley Police Investigations 350-9670
Victim Services Program 351-5345
Evans Police Department 339-2441
Windsor Police Department 686-7433
Kersey Police Department 353-1681
La Salle Police Department 284-5541
Johnstown Police Department 587-0139
Milliken Police Department 587-2772
Eaton Police Department 454-2212
Ault Police Department 834-2852
Severance Police Department 686-1218
Garden City Police Department 351-0041
Weld County Sheriff (Jail) 356-4015
District Attorney’s Office 356-4010
Victim/Witness Program (DA) 356-4010
Victim Compensation Program 356-4010
Greeley/Weld Records 350-9627
A Woman’s Place 356-4226
SAVA (Rape Crisis) 877-352-7273
North Colorado Medical Center 352-4121
North Range Behavioral Health 347-2120
Department of Human Services 352-1551
Island Grove (Detox) 356-6664
Support Services (SESS) 313-1089
Guadalupe Shelter 353-3720
3Hopeful Hearts 430-6136
Court Information Center 475-2410
Suicide Education & Support Services 506-2737


As a victim of one of the crimes specified in the Victim’s Rights Act you may be entitled to the following services:

  • Immediate crisis intervention and follow-up support
  • Special services for juvenile, elderly or disabled victims
  • Referral to public and private individuals and organizations providing
  • Medical and other emergency services
  • Mental health and social services
  • Financial assistance
  • Translation services
  • Intervention with creditors, landlords and employers
  • Legal resources
  • Rehabilitative services
  • Transportation and child care services
  • Information about obtaining public records, including police reports
  • Information about protective orders
  • Other support services
We are sorry to learn that you have been the victim of a crime. This experience may have created stress, fear, or confusion for you, and we would like to offer our help with any problems you may be experiencing as a result of this crime.

Victim Rights and Assistance Volunteers

Respond upon request to secure crime scenes or other specified locations to provide emotional support and service referral information to crime victims and others in crisis and in need of assistance. Follow-up as appropriate.

Apply To

GPD Victim Assistance Unit by bringing or mailing the application to the Greeley Police Department, 2875 10th Street, Greeley, Co 80634.

Victim Assistance Application


To provide crisis intervention and service referral information

Report To

Victim Assistance Coordinator


  • 12-24 hours on-call shifts
  • Volunteer sign-up basis
  • 48 hours per month
  • 6PM-6AM weekdays
  • 6AM-6AM weekends and holidays
  • Others as needed


  • At least 19 years of age
  • Valid Colorado driver’s license
  • Valid car liability insurance
  • Live within 15 minutes of our covered agencies
  • Ability to pass comprehensive criminal background check including polygraph and drug/alcohol testing
  • Ability to follow written and oral directions
  • Must attend monthly meetings
  • Education
  • Education or experience commensurate with the assigned duties


One year minimum, 48 hours per month